Prev: Re[2]: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)

Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:02:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.)

Mark Siefert wrote:
>David Brewer wrote:
>>
>> What other fertile SF genres are there? Car duelling?
>Unfeasable > Giant Robots?

 >Giant Robots: Hmmmm...I would really like to see a set of "easy" Mecha
>rules.

Tim & Simon Parnell of Smart Graphics (the company that did the
production
for FT, DSII and SGII) also run a small games business called Gomi
Designs.
They have produced a set of rules called "Mecha Carnage". I'm not into
Mecha myself, but I hear that they have received some good reviews...

 >Auto Duelling:   YEAH...that's the ticket.  We need something to give
>SJG a run for their money.

 >Here some other sub-genres we could play with:

 >Net-Running Wargaming:  I am not taking about an RPG or CCG here
(cause
>that's be done already).  I am thinking about a "Cyberpunk" syle
>wargame where players command armies of cybernetic-hackers (their
>brains plugged into their laptops) fighting it out with other
>cyberpunks in a futuristic VR realm.  They could hurl anti-system
>programs to fry the opponet hackers' brains while trying to keep your
>hackers' gray-matter uncooked.

You what? Well, I suppose some people might play it...

 >Victorian Sci-Fi Wargaming:  Does "The War of the Worlds" ring a bell?

>Maybe we can reverse the whole scheme and have the earthlings invade
>the planets of the inner solar system to spread good-old imperialism to

>the benighted, barbaric alien natives.  I can see it all now:	Her
>Majesty's Royal Space Marines, wielding Edison Electric Rifles and
>mounted on coal burning Ford "Mechana-Steads", storm the palace of the
>Martian Emporer's palace on Syria Utopia while the Royal Airship
>Squadron provides air support.  I know, "Space 1899," tried to do this,

>but GDW didn't really do much with it and now that they are in Grave
>Yard of Dead Game Companies...

Steve Blease, he of the SFSFW was going to write a set of rules for
this,
but I think he got side-tracked by Flintloque.... It occurs to me that
this
is an obvious candidate for a DSII modification?

 >1950's style Sci-Fi Wargaming:  The puny forces of earth, using post
>WWII technology, fight off hordes of Martians, giant insects or
>arachnids, re-animated dinosaurs, and other B-movie baddies.

Again, maybe a DSII conversion? OTOH, why not look at Steve Gill's
Animouch
game - would definitely fit with the 50's B movie/ comedy feel...

 >I am forgeting anyone?

Probably...
Mike Elliott

Prev: Re[2]: Points, Mass and FT3 [FAO MJE-JMT-GZG] Next: Re: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)