Prev: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.) Next: Re: Points, Mass and Fantasy FMA NON-TOPIC, REALLY

Re: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:02:58 -0500
Subject: Re: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)

Subsequent to my other post on this subject, no, the tag "FMA" should
_not_ be
used (it is a registered trademark of GZG). However, the idea of using
opposed
dice of different types is a game mechanism and that cannot be
copyrighted or
patented, so go ahead...

Also since it is not the intention to make commercial gain from such a
net
based group project, I don't see a problem.

If it were illegal to use an idea like that, then most games published
in the
last 30 years should be paying royalties to Don Featherstone, H.G.Wells
being
long dead...

Mike Elliott, GZG

_________________________________
Subject: For Mike E., A Question (FMA Fantasy)
Author:  SMTP:owner-ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk/ at INTERNET
Date:	 16/12/96 10:03

At 12:08 AM 12/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>So to all of you who want the chance to have input on a Fantasy set of
>rules using FMA (If Jon is okay with it) jump on the band wagon now,
and
>well starter up and see if she's got any gas.

Well, there is the first roadblock. I'd want to be certain that Jon has
no
intention, now or in the future, of producing a FMA Fantasy game. I
realize
that legally Jon can't copyright a game system, that he can only
trademark
that system's name, but I think morally and ethically Jon "owns" the
system.
If Jon has any intention at all of creating a fantasy game using the FMA

system, or even if he just wants to protect his creation, and he says
that
he'd rather not see a fantasy game based on a FMA system, I'd back down
his wishes. On the other hand, he may have no problems with a FMA
fantasy
game as long as we don't use the FMA name.

Maybe Mike could let us know Jon's intention on a fantasy game, before
we go
any further.

I suggest we hold off until we hear from Mike. If we get some sort of
go-ahead, we can put out a formal call for volunteers.

>BTW I also think that any set of rules, no matter how good they are,
and
>hey they could stink, should be public domain for those intrested.

It wouldn't be public domain. The creators would maintain the copyright
and
(if Jon let's us use the FMA name, even if it's only as a reference) the
FMA
trademark would be maintained. You lose both if you release it into the
public domain. However, the end result would be made available to all
for
the asking. In this way, it would be more like the DBA variants
published in
magazines and on the net.

For the record, I doubt that Mike would allow the use of the FMA
trademark
(I'd probably do the same in his position).

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Other Sci-Fi Genres (Was Re: FMA Fantasy etc.) Next: Re: Points, Mass and Fantasy FMA NON-TOPIC, REALLY