Prev: Re: Lag.... Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:45:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Rob Pruden wrote:
>I'd like to see some ideas for using the FT rules to simulate this type
of
>"realistic" space combat.  Yes, it probably isn't quite as romantic as
>massive space fleets blasting away at one another but could still be
fun in
>a different way.  Detection and development of firing solutions would
be as
>important as the firing itself.  This could be handled by treating the
>sensors as "batteries" in their own right.  One would have to "hit" the
>target for a certain number of "detection points" in order to get a
firing
>solution for their weapons.  Stealth ("shielding") would be based on
target
>thrust, aspect (facing relative to firer), and active sensor or weapons
use.

I too like the detail you mentioned, but FT excels as simple game of
space
combat.  You could add additional rules for firing, but I think it might
slow the game down a bit much if you had to roll for sensor locks in
addition to weapon fire.  Rolling dies for weapon fire in FT at present
in
some ways simulates this already.  A roll indicating a miss might be
interpretted as losing a fire control lock.

Of course, if you did this with small ship engagements it might be fun,
but
typical FT battles are fleet engagements.

Based on the type of detail you would like to see, you might want to
check
out Brilliant Lances which covers about everything you mentioned and
then
some.  It is highly detailed and provides a realistic approach to space
combat.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Lag.... Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics