Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: RE: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:01:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Daryl wrote:
>I'm not sure what's survivable (by survivable I mean being able to
>function after the burst of G's) ... let's assume 10 G's (How many G's
>do fighter pilots take before blacking out (something like 7 isn't
>it?)) that's 100 m/s^2, to move 100m that's exactly 1 second.	Light
>speed is 300,000,000 m/s.  So if our bogey was anywhere under
>100,000,000 meters away (and he could only take 10 G (on average)) I
>could tag him with a lightspeed weapon everytime with active sensors.
>This assumes no computational time and one trip to hit him, one trip
>for the sensor to return, and one light speed trip to tag him with a
>weapon.

I would think any ship designed to carry crew would not be designed to
take
maneuvers that would greatly harm the crew.  Vehicles today are designed
go a fair distance beyond(and then some) the limits of an average
passenger.
If your crew could only take a max of say, 10 G's without being totally
incapacitated, it is highly unlikely some engineer is going to mount a
40 G
acceleration capable drive in said ship.  That is unless the ship is
designed for remote or automated guidance or the engineer is really bad
with
numbers.

Mike Miserendino