Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: RE: FT3?

RE: FT3, details of needed changes

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:14:57 -0400
Subject: RE: FT3, details of needed changes

Date sent:  24-SEP-1996 08:56:25

>Adam wrote:

>>Good. It's not that I don't like the idea, it's just I think FT is
>>pretty much perfect in it's current form....

  ... and adding
>>Realistic Movement (with the addition of limited rotation) as
>>an optional rule.

and Rob replied with:

>Okay, tell me what this "limited rotation" thing is all about.  I've
read
>the Realistic Movement  rules from Jon and Mike.  Is this an addition?
It
>did seem to me that big ships with low thrust ratings should have a
limited
>ability to change facing with thrusters.  Maybe the facing changes
allowed
>would be equal to the thrust rating?...  How did you work it?

Yes, thats how we changed it. You use the maneuvering thrusters to
rotate
through a number of clock faces up to a maximum of the thrust power
available. Most ships end up with a thrust rate of 2, with a larger
difference being seen in the main drive.

I can tell you now, from what physics I know, that this is HIGHLY
unrealistic
(In the scale we use, power to rotate is insignificant compared to the
power
to accelerate over the distances we use) but it preserves the 'feel' of
the game, which I consider to be much more important.

>What about submunition packs, mines, and cloaking?  Any changes or
additions
>generally accepted by the mailing list?

There appears to be some confusion with Submunition packs concerning
fire
arcs. You can only fit them in one arc (according to Jon).

I think everyone will agree that mines are too weak. I'd be tempted to
treat them as missile warheads without the engine. This would make them
VERY dangerous, possibly overpowering. It all depends on whether you
want
mines to be a major factor, or simply a minor annoyance.

There are several variants of Cloaking that have been banded about.

>As you say, FT is pretty much perfect as is.  After 25 years in this
hobby
>I've finally found a system I can stick with!

As it has been pointed out earlier, the roumers of FT3 are just that. No
evidence that anything is planned.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: RE: FT3?