Prev: Re: Mailing List Up? Next: Re: Traveller Ships

Re: Rules Questions

From: Jerry Han <jerry@u...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:26:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Rules Questions

JAMES BUTLER wrote:
> 1. Is it just us or are missiles frighteningly effective? Jerry Han
made some
> reference to an "Aegis" system to shoot missiles down...how does that
work
> again?

It's an optional rule, most people come up with their own variants of
it.
The version I sent to you was something I made up off the top of my
head.
Essentially, the AEGIS combat system was developed by the United States
Navy
to shoot down Soviet anti-carrier missiles, which were big, fast, and
nasty.
It's a combination of planar array radars, and special computers/battle
software, that makes it more effective than your conventional fire
control
system (though, the Iranian Airbus shootdown in 1989 proved that nothing
is
full proof.)

In the FT/MT context, simply take an ADAF system, make it more effective
at
knocking down missiles/fighters, and give it a hideous cost/mass to
restrict
its use.  Use whatever numbers you feel like using, to get a game "feel"
that
you want to play with.

> 2. Can fighters engage missiles?

This isn't specifically covered in the rules, it depends on what house
rule
you want to use.  Some say yes, some say only "interceptor" fighters can

engage missiles, and some say no.

> 3. How does Wave Gun charging work? If you roll a 6 straight out can
you
> fire the Wave Gun that turn? If you roll a 6 the next turn (it
happened both
> turns!!) can you fire the Wave Gun that turn too?

I play that if you roll a 6 straight out you can fire the Wave Gun, but,
once
again, I think this is a question of personal taste.  (8-)

> And just because we can't figure them out...
>
> 4. How do you balance Kra'vak forces vs. Human ones?

You don't want to ask this question.  Trust me.  (8-)  (If you want an
idea
of the argument it provoked, take a look at the FT archives for June.
It's a
recurring issue.

> 5. And how do you figure out what's a fair force for the Sa'Vasku?

Wait until the next supplement comes out.  (8-)

J.

--
     Jerry Han - Network Engineering - UUNET Canada, Toronto, ON, Canada
	http://www.uunet.ca/~jerry -  email:jerry@uunet.ca - TBFTGOGGI