Prev: Re: Rules Questions Next: The Atlantic Class MEGASHIP

Re: Traveller Ships

From: M.J.Elliott@u...
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:36:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Traveller Ships

Joe Troche recently asked me about the Traveller tonnage to FT mass
ratio.
I have answered it on the list as it is prbably of general interest.

>How or when and who determined that 100 tons in Traveller is
>equivalent to 2 mass points in Full Thrust?

Nobody actually stated this ratio, I merely suggested it.

>I used High Guard, GURPS Space, and More Thrust for reference.  More
>Thrust includes a section on DSII which had cargo requirements for
troops
>and equipment.

Yeah, I wrote that section in More Thrust. The original intention was to

say that 1 MASS = 50 tons, but it got changed to 50CS in the final
version.
Begs the question tho' - how many tons is 1CS?

>GURPs Space has a starship construction section that includes
reasonable
>volume requirements for crew quarters.  Combining these two with
>information from Traveller, I came up with 312.5 cu/meters = 1 mass
point
>ยจ 25 tons mass displacement - assuming the Scout ship from Full Thrust
is
>roughly equivalent to the Traveller Scout (at 1400 cu/m).

This is our point of divergence. My assumption was that a Traveller
Scout
(100tons) is equivalent to an FT Courier (MASS 2). This assumption is
based
on the fact that the smallest FTL capable ship in the Traveller universe
is
a Scout or similar at 100 tons and the smallest FTL capable ship in FT
is
the MASS 2 Courier.

>Did you read somewhere that GZG decided to make the scout mass 2?

No, its the Courier that's MASS 2.

Mike Elliott, GZG

Prev: Re: Rules Questions Next: The Atlantic Class MEGASHIP