Prev: Re: New FT Gamer Next: Re: New FT Gamer

points values & balance (was: Those Quiet Annoying Seiferts...)

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:44:37 -0400
Subject: points values & balance (was: Those Quiet Annoying Seiferts...)

Rob writes:

>	      A thought or two on the problems of points values, balance
etc-
>perhaps more relevant to DSII than FT.  The Wargame Research Group
1925-1950
>rules (company/battalion level) uses a system of "baseline points
values"
>for elements, and modifies the "basic points available" to a force
according
>to quality/enthusiasm etc and according to mission.  For example, say
the
>basic points available=2000.  This is 100% of the basic level for a
force
>performing a Hasty Defence.  An opposing force in Hasty attack gets
300%, or
>6000pts.  If the defenders included "Green" troops, they would get a
bonus
>of 10% of the base, ie 110% or 2200pts.  If the attackers included
>"Thrusting" troops they would have a 10% (or is it 20%, I forget) of
the
>base, ie 90% of 300%, ie 270% or 5400 pts.

You mean you all don't do this already? Sorry, I guess I just assumed
this
was common practice. (I _wasn't_ raised on GW!) Now I understand the
opposition to a points system!

I agree with Rob; just because you have a points system doesn't mean you
always have to fight even battles. We've never had a fixed scale for how
much
"surprise" of "rear attack" is worth, we've always just sorta SWAG'ed
it.

Scott

"Life is like a sewer: what you get out of it depends on what you put
into
it."

 Tom
Lehrer

Prev: Re: New FT Gamer Next: Re: New FT Gamer