Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Canon

Re: Cannon - What makes something Cannon?

From: aebrain@a...
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 101 02:48:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Cannon - What makes something Cannon?

> I mainly lurk here on the list, but in my own GZG group in Atlanta GA
USA
> and here on this list there is talk of some material being Cannon or
not
> being Cannon.

Cannon normally refers to large calibre weapons firing explosive
charges...

> What makes something Cannon and who decides if it is or isn't Cannon?

What makes something Canonical;

a) - if it's appeared in print, in either Full Thrust, Full Thrust 2nd
Edition,
More Thrust, Fleet Book 1, Fleet Book 2, Dirtside 2, or Star Grunt, or
as a
figure made by GZG or their agents ( like Eureka).
b) If Jon Tuffley has said it Ex Cathedra, with [GZG-OFFICIAL] on the
subject
line.

Who decides?

Jon Tuffley.

> Seems there are a lot of web sites up that claim to be Cannon or at
least
> have Cannon material - who or what situation gave them this status?

See above. If the data paraphrases what's appeared in print, then it's
Canonical. If it expands what's in print, then it isn't - until the
print
catches up, if ever, or Jon gives his imprimatur.

For example, it's Canonical that there is a minor power called the
Oceanic
Union - it appears in FT etc. It's canonical that the navy has frigates,

destroyers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, light carriers and
boomerang-shaped
fighters, as Eureka and GZG make these. It's canonical that the OUDF has
Grav-
Bikes for a similar reason.
But the ship designs for the OUDF on the Full Thrust Shipyard and
elsewhere
aren't canonical; neither is the bacground "fluff" for the OU on the
Unofficial
GZGpedia site, except where it re-states data that appears in books.
Until and
unless Jon Tuffley says otherwise.

> Our group of thirty or so players here in Atlanta are starting the
process
> of developement of rules and history material.  Naturally, I became
curious
> about why some material created by others is and some isn't Cannon.

Cos Jon says
so.

This message was sent using the AustarMetro Internet Web Mail System.
http://www.austarmetro.com.au/

Prev: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe Next: Re: Canon