Prev: RE: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…? Next: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

FMA Aircraft: Guns

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 17:22:49 -0500
Subject: FMA Aircraft: Guns

Hey All,

So I've written up a set of rules using the FMA mechanics for air combat
and I plan to play test them a bit Friday evening.  I've written them
assuming Mach capable aircraft from the 70s onward though they can
easily
be used with prop driven aircraft or early jets.

I'm looking at two philosophies for determining an aircraft's firepower
and
impact for any guns mounted on the platform.

#1: Throw a quality die and firepower die for each pair of guns.  Take
the
highest two results and compare them to the target's die roll (which is
quality & defense die -- high value is used).  Beat 1 is a near miss
while
beating 2 is a solid hit.  For example a Korean War Sabre has six .50
MGs
so would throw quality and then 3 FP die.

#2: Come up with a standard firepower & impact for the the set of guns
and
be done with it -- though this approach will have several weird die
combos.  For example a Mig-15 may have an exceptionally large Impact die
at
close and medium range to model getting smacked by a 37mm shell but the
long range impact die will be significantly lower because of the severe
drop said 37mm shell experiences.

Psychologically players will probably enjoy #1 as it's a bucket of dice
and
their odds of getting a decent result go up tremendously.  From a
speed-of-play perspective I like #2 and will probably lean that way.

Opinions?

D.