Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: RE: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:48:36 -0400
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dammit, Damo, stop infusing RL into my SF*!  :-D
>
> * - fantasy

I used to think that a near future limited tech starship game would be
fun
-- then I did some reading and found it it wouldn't be fun at all.  Most
action would occur at the start as your ships are burning hot or at the
very end of a trip where your fuel is so low you couldn't get away if
you
tried.	I used to think it was a near future "Subs in Space" situation
with
people hunched over passive arrays trying to ferret out the location of
the
baddies.  In reality you'd know the baddies were there hours to days in
advance. Space is a big place and any ship with a course crossing yours
is
immediately suspect.  It's a weird game where the captain, on a Tuesday,
says "Prepare to repel boarders Friday morning!"

So where does that leave me?

I still like SFB, FT, Silent Death, Jon's little fighter game he came
out
with a long time ago, cloaks, etc.  I just giggle a bit when folks try
bring Real Life into starship gaming when generally they're 110% wrong
or
they try to apply Real Life to a certain segment of the rules.	If
you're
going to set the bar high...make sure everything crosses it.  That said
starship game that "followed the rules" would be intensely boring.

D.