Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Andy Skinner <andyskinner@r...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:25:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

I haven't played Full Thrust (or another space ship game) for a long
time. I have a bunch of ships, and hope I will again. I think that I
just play a minis game occasionally, and my interest is elsewhere at the
moment.

When I played, we used the cinematic movement system, because the
inspiration (if not the game setting) was movies. You don't see Imperial
Star Destroyers moving sideways through space, pointed in a different
direction than they were moving. We didn't find it difficult, though
hex-shaped bases really help. You always keep a hex edge parallel to a
table edge.

I don't remember a problem with high speeds. We did get the impression
that games were samey, where we went at each other and then around in
circles. Colonial Battlefleet promised to address that, give better
strategy, more fun, but I found it too limiting. It also put the role of
ships into the rules more. The GZG fleets (which I love) have lots of
ships of different sizes, but I've usually thought of them as different
sizes of the same thing, rather than ships filling different roles, and
I'd like to get out of that rut a bit. Tried a bit of Starmada in
different iterations, but those seemed to be about ship design more than
play. Full Thrust seemed to me to have the best balance of what a game
needs and what I want.

andy