Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Jon Tuffley <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:13:46 +0100
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Supplementary question arising out of this discussion…..

How many people here have found very high speeds in play to be a REAL
problem in actual games, rather than a theoretical one?

I'm VERY wary of introducing maximum speeds if it can be avoided. What
are folks' real in-game experiences?

Moving very fast has its own difficulties, not least of which is the
high risk of overshooting your target unless you judge things EXACTLY
right (which is a large reason why I've never worried too much about the
"problem" of passing ships not being able to shoot at each other - yes,
it may be a very big abstraction and seem odd, but it does have the
effect of making players keep their speeds down if they want to avoid
this happening).

Please discuss……?  ;-)

Jon (GZG)

On 22 Oct 2015, at 13:45, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unless you are defending an area or region, then it is easier to
justify.  :-)	Often, though, that usually involves some sort of 'space
terrain' (depending on scale being used, could be a base, an asteroid, a
moon, or a planet), or maybe a disabled ship.