Prev: Re: Interest in re-vitalizing the UFTWWWP? Next: RE: Interest in re-vitalizing the UFTWWWP?

Re: Interest in re-vitalizing the UFTWWWP?

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:00:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Interest in re-vitalizing the UFTWWWP?

1) I use Lunarpages. That's worked fine for the decade I've had my
website
up and not hosted through the local library system. I think I went there
on
the recommendation of Star Ranger.

2) I may be a throw back to the old days of yore, but I still work with
the
WYSIWYG editors and HTML coding. My pages aren't fancy, but still
information functional. Someday (when I have more free time) I may try
upgrade to something a little more early 2000s than mid-1990s.	:-D

3) FT in and of itself has either continued and flourished, or, as you
noted for in your neck of the woods, died. With the lack of FT3 having
ever
come out, it also has morphed into several other versions, such as Cross
Dimensions and Warlord. Different groups play the different morphed
versions. All depends on what the interest is around you. Overall FT is
still very popular and remains the go-to starship combat game system for
those not embroiled in the lawyering of SFB.  :-)

Mk

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Mark Siefert <siefertma@wi.rr.com>
wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> No, I didn't die. I didn't join an apocalyptic cult that worships
mutant
> avocados from Dimension X. Life just took me off in directions that I
> didn't think I'd ever be going and I drifted away from FT, my website,
> and a lot of things.	I've gotten older, (unfortunately) fatter, a
> little more grouchy, a lot more liberal, and just generally different.
> That said, I'm still a gamer to the end, and I recently my interests
are
> being pulled back to the rules that got me into the wargaming hobby.
> With that in mind, I also want to see about trying to resurrect the
> UFTWWWP.
>
> Trying to use the original site is problematic. For starters, it's
been
> so long since I logged onto that server that I can't remember my FTP
> password. I have tried everything I can't recall but I can't get into
my
> old account. Contacting the person who ran it results in Mail Delivery
> Failure messages. Of course, all is not lost. All I have to do is just
> download everything (maybe reformat some stuff along the way) and plug
> it into a new page. However before I invest the time, money, and
effort
> into such an undertaking, a few questions:
>
> 1. I'd want to set it up with a dedicated domain name. UFTWWWP.net is
> open, so I shouldn't have any problems with that. Any recommendations
> who I should register with? I've heard baaaaaad things about dealing
> with goDaddy.com.
>
> 2. It's been ages since I've done much in the way of .HTML coding and
> know that WYSIWYG webpage editors are a thing of the past. We're in
the
> day and age of CMS. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good one
that
> will suit an hobbyist like myself?
>
> 3. Would it be worth it? FT is dead in my neck of the woods and I have
> never been able to generate any interest in Fleet Book-style play.
I'm