Prev: Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES! Next: Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 14:10:11 +0100
Subject: Re: Official - More re GZG news update - NEW RELEASES!

>textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
>On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
>
>>  >Ground Zero Games wrote:
>>  >>	The problem is that I also make a number of cool artillery-type
minis
>>  >>	that I also want people to buy....  ;-)
>>  >
>>  >Easy fix:
>>  >Just state in the rules that in order to deploy artillery you need
an
>>  >off-table diorama containing the required models:-)
>>

>>  Well done, Frits, have a Virtual Coconut for the great idea!  :-)
>>
>>  Actually, I think it might have been the old WRG 1950-75 rules (or
>>  "ultramoderns" as they were known when I bought them back in the
>>  early '70s....) which had a rule about marking off a 6" strip at
your
>>  baseline table edge, which then represented your "off-table" assets
>>  (artillery, command, reserves, whatever). Anything placed on-table
>>  but in that 6" zone was deemed to be out of reach of "table-range"
>>  weapons, but still valid targets for opposing artillery, airstrikes
>>  and so on.
>>

>That's an interesting idea. Hmmmm.....
>
>Mk

Yes, I always thought it was quite a good way of doing it... for the
minis manufacturer it has the advantage that players have to actually
have physical minis of their off-table assets, rather than just
having them represented on paper or by an "asset card"; it also means
that things like counter-battery fire can be performed on the actual
minis using the same rules as on-table artillery strikes, rather than
being handled in some abstract manner.
In some ways it is really not unlike what FoW achieves with its
logarithmic groundscale idea, but it perhaps requires a slightly
smaller "suspension of disbelief" than their system for the purist
gamer.

Jon (GZG)