Prev: RE: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions Next: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

RE: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:22:55 +0100
Subject: RE: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

>  > Have you ventured into the Lost Fleet series any?
>
>Have to go back and retry; a friend is deep into it, and says my
>recollection of mostly groppo action is wrong.
>
>As for Odyssey One, no fears, I'M no rocket scientist...
>
>>  Very "US Navy In Space Saves Humanity", but then that's what a lot
>>of readers want...
>
>I'm sure I've read some Douglas, but not sure about that series;
>you've actually talked me into looking up the Drake stuff. ;->=

I love Dave Drake's RCN books (otherwise known as the "Daniel Leary"
series), they're huge fun - OK, he stretches the concept of PSB to
breaking point in order to have starships that function like
age-of-sail vessels, to the extent of having vaccsuited "riggers"
climbing masts on the hull to set the radiation-catching sails that
propel the ships through multiple bubble universes in hyperspace -
but you can just about let him off with that because the books are
great rip-roaring adventures through a well-visualised universe.
Don't take them too seriously, just enjoy....

>'Lady Megan' saves the day, but, in both stories, as sole survivor,
>knows the credit undeserved. Everyone in the navy knows her peerage
>is a sop to the 'colonials'. Selfdoubt-R-Us US.
>
>Yesterday's Children, in the original, even more so. Rather The
>Caine Mutiny or The Bedford Incident in space.
>
>Really? No one else thinks Weber's or Bujold's feel a bit like RN in
18-19c?

>By the way, if anyone feels this has gone on TOO long, please do pop
>up and say so. If not, I should like nominations for the best FT
>book not called FT...

Very interested to hear folks' opinions on this...  ;-)

Jon (GZG)