Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Fleet Initiative

Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits...

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 03:01:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits...

I loved the level of detail on the old DP9 Heavy Gear's which I use as
size 0.5 to size 1 walkers in Stargrunt or super-heavy PA depending on
the day.

Beyond that size (say 4"), mecha I will not buy. The 'I'm a big target
standing up and I fall over easily' reality just kneecaps my
enjoyment. I have been impressed by Tom McCarthy's 2.5-3' tall Eldar
(name escapes me - Titan?) as it is the most massive single resin I've
ever seen, but knowing the cost or resin now and how many other things
I could get for the same value, definitely not something I'd buy. If
it's over about 3"-4" tall, it's not for me. Now, if I had to defend
myself with objects from my gaming table, I'd definitely choose that
Eldar Titan as it would make an excellent club (once).

I do agree with Martin about one thing - metal models go
ass-over-teakettle much easier than resins. Even in my stargate FT
game, the metal battleship from studio bergstrom took several tumbles
whereas the resin cruisers and destroyers from the 3D printer didn't
because they were much lighter and would much less suceptible to
slight perturbations.  If you've got a huge mech, you'll need a wide
base for stability and that gets challenging on the tabletop if you
have much terrain.

TomB

PS - Thanks for the page ref Roger. I missed that when I read through
there several times. Still, having cores versus not having cores can
notably change the utility of the last 1/2 to 3/5ths of your ship....

Prev: Re: Question to all, re Mecha kits... Next: Fleet Initiative