Prev: Re: Blacker than Black Next: Re: Blacker than Black

Re: Blacker than Black

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:16:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Blacker than Black

One point here in this thread. Not so much about stealth, but detecting
an
object at all. How large are spaceships presumed to be, and how close
must
they get before the current technology of the time (or colony) can see
them
at all, much less resolve them with any detail? The sky is a vastly
enormous volume to be looking for an intruder speck in on a constant
basis.
And not every random rock (asteroid of small size) is likely to have
been
cataloged without a *tremendous* amount of work, in any given system
(then
there are always the oddballs that randomly appear).

On the flip side, how much energy output are ships doing when they are
thrusting in-system from wherever they jumped? Asteroids are whizzing
about
a mach speeds, but on a solar system scale, painfully slow crawls.
Certainly no intruding ship is going to try and take a year or three to
get
to where it wants to go.  ;-)

Mk