Prev: Re: Blacker than Black Next: Re: Blacker than Black

Re: Blacker than Black

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:40:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Blacker than Black

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 03:21:51PM -0500, Tom B wrote:

>3. Sensors may be subject to depth issues (I'm not sure if such
>sensors instantly see everything at all depths equally well or need to
>scan varying depths meaning more scan passes to determine accurately
>what might be thee). Space is 3-D and perhaps like the Mk I eyeball, a
>sensor has to focus on areas close, medium or far to get accuity.

For a precise image, sure. But to say "hey, there's something in that
direction, time to take a closer look" on the IR sensor, all you need is
a bit of directionality on your IR photodiode.

Are you perhaps conflating detection with lock-on? When I talk about
stealth, I'm thinking mostly about concealing the fact that there's a
target there at all. That's really not doable in space. To use your Mk I
eyeball analogy, it's dark, everyone out there is covered in bright
white LEDs, and there's nothing to hide behind.

But throwing out multiple targets and confusing the systems that are
pointing weapons at you? Much more plausible. You're still walking
around covered in LEDs, but you can leave candles behind as you go.

Prev: Re: Blacker than Black Next: Re: Blacker than Black