Prev: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling Next: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:30:37 -0400
Subject: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling

My thanks to Tamsin and Martin and Robert, all of whom supplied
excellent
info.

It was the Ainsty site I saw the odd cargo containers on... but for the
life
of me, my googling could not turn it up. <shame>

Also a special thanks to Robert because THAT EXACT article on wrecked
cars
was one I'd read before and which inpsired me, but I could not find it
(I
found somewhat similar, but more convoluted methods). I wanted to
relocate
that article bug again my Google-fu was weak. <more shame>

The Grendel collection I already own most of (plus some older product
not
see on here) but I do like their doors and cargo bay which I... don't
think... I have. I say don't think because I've turned up a lot of old
unbuilt stuff while poking around lately.

So, great help and much appreciated as it located exactly what I was
looking
for.

When I get around to casting some of my own scratch-built vehicles and
bits,
I'll post some links with pics. We'll see how that goes.I just shopped
the
local hobby store out of all of its Alumalite Regular Resin and
Alumalite
Quick Set RTV and ordered bulk quantities of those to follow. (I should
get
some Alumalite HS-III RTV as the quick set isn't 100% on undercuts)

Some follow up questions:

Has anyone any idea the difference between Alumalite Clear and Alumalite
Water Clear? If I want to pour some water on terrain boards (ideally
sans
bubbles), are these a good choice? Or is there some better choice that I
should look at for this?

For building 25-28mm vehicles (for casting), what sort of material is
best
for the bulk body of the vehicle? I've wondered about wood blocks or UHD
plastic (but I don't think many adhesives will stick to this stuff to
adhere
the details)... but I really don't know.

They'd be larger bulky pieces, to which detail would be affixed, but
they'd
need to be able to be at least grossly shaped and seems like you'd use
huge
piles of sculpy (more than seems sensible) if you went that route for
the
main shape component of a 28mm vehicle (it's bad enough how much resin
you'd
use to cast them - I'm looking at interior block insertion to reduce
resin
use and maybe even adding Alumalite microbaloons to cut the resin
volume).

Any tips or thoughts on these fronts appreciated.

Tom
--
Only solitary men know the full joys of friendship. Others have their
family; but to a solitary and an exile, his friends are everything.*

Prev: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling Next: Re: ISO sci-fi terrain and random rambling