Prev: [GZG] http://kaladorn.blah blah + Incorrect Instructions for GZG-List + not paying attention Next: Re: [GZG] From GZG, latest situation update....

[GZG] From GZG, latest situation update....

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:39:34 +0000
Subject: [GZG] From GZG, latest situation update....

VERY IMPORTANT INFO: ALL CUSTOMERS PLEASE READ!

This is a heads-up to everyone that we have MAJOR changes afoot - the
main one being a long awaited complete re-vamp of our online store!
We've been trying to do this for a couple of years now, but it never
seemed to be the right time, there were always problems about it that
we couldn't easily resolve, and so on. Well, now finally IT IS
HAPPENING.
The new store will be a completely different format to the old one,
hopefully easier to navigate and use, and it will have all the
features that are expected these days but that the old store lacked -
including instant online processing of customer card payments,
integrated Paypal payment option, calculation of shipping costs at
time of order (so you know exactly what you'll be paying before you
make the final clicks), the ability to check the status of your order
online, and much more. Eventually there will even be more product
photos (when we can get them added, so don't expect 100% of these
immediately!), and much better integrated galleries of pictures.

Now, at the time of writing we are still struggling under a
significant backlog of orders - though we've been working flat-out to
clear them as quickly as possible, they are still coming in as fast
as we can get them out - if there is ever a lull for a day, it is
followed by a deluge the next day! This also means that we can never
seem to get ahead, as we can't re-fill the stock bins while we're
having to cast stuff on the fly to fill the orders that have to go
out. So, I've had to make a decision that I've been putting off till
now:

WE WILL BE CLOSED TO NEW ORDERS FROM MARCH 1st, until we can get
stock replenished, outstanding orders cleared, new items moulded and
cast, and the new store up and running. I would hope that we will
re-open with the new online store NO LATER than the beginning of
April - if we can get enough done before that, we may make it sooner.

What will happen is that the checkout stage of the old online store
will be turned off on March 1st, so that you can still browse our
product ranges but won't be able to actually place an order. The rest
of the website, including the news page, will remain up for info and
updates. We will not be accepting any orders from then until we
re-open with the new online store up and running. Once we know a firm
date for the activation of the new store we will post it here.

During the March hiatus, we will be working as hard as possible on
clearing all orders placed up to the end of Feb, as well as
completing and moulding the NEW items that we've been trying to do
for ages, and returning out stock levels to a reasonable state ready
for the mailorders to re-start with the new store going online -
hopefully then when we re-open we can once again offer a quick
turn-round time, something that has slipped horribly over the last
few months!

PRICES:
Those if you who have been customers of ours for a long while will be
aware that we have not actually had any significant price changes to
most of our ranges for something like TWELVE YEARS. In that time, the
cost of metal has spiralled by something like 300%, and virtually
everything else has gone up as well - but we've held our prices
stable on existing codes, absorbing all these changes despite being
squeezed onto lower and lower margins with every increase in our
costs. We've even so far absorbed the recent 2.5% VAT increase as far
as our UK and EU customers are concerned while passing on the extra
saving to all our US and other non-EU customers!
Sadly we just can't do this any longer - some (not all) prices simply
HAVE to go up at last to reflect realistic materials and running
costs, and the revamping of the webstore provides us with the most
practical opportunity to do this. So, when the new store opens for
business, there will be price increases on some items - mostly on
older codes that have been the same prices for many years, but also
on some newer items where materials cost increases have hit
particularly painfully. We will be keeping the effects of these
increases to the minimum that we possibly can, and trust that you
will still find that we offer exceptional value for money.

DELETION OF SOME OLDER CODES:
While the webstore is being overhauled, we will also be DELETING a
number of older items from the store - mainly codes where moulds are
reaching the end of their useful life, and sales are too low to
warrant re-moulding them at this time. This is simply a continuation
of the process we started quite a while back, as there are a number
of old models in our ranges that are now getting very difficult and
time-consuming to cast to an acceptable standard. Please note that we
are not actually disposing of any moulds unless they are completely
worn out and effectively useless, and most of the items that are
being deleted from the store WILL still be available to special
order, time and other circumstances permitting. If, when the new
store is up, you find that something you wanted has disappeared -
then please contact us and we'll see what we can do for you.
We will also be re-organising some of the many special packs and
fleet deals that we offer, changing the contents of some and
replacing some older deals with all-new ones - full details will be
on the new store.

NEW PRODUCTS:
We have a significant number of new releases sitting here on the
workbench almost ready to go, but the sheer volume of orders has
prevented any chance of getting production moulds made for them yet -
as explained above, this is one of the things that we plan to catch
up on during March, so that we have a good batch of NEW items ready
for the opening of the new store, and then even more ready in time
for SALUTE in April! Keep checking for news posts here during March,
as even though the store is shut I will be posting teasers and
progress reports on the new stuff so that you know what is coming.

FEBRUARY OFFER VOUCHERS:
A lot of you received February discount vouchers from our pre-Xmas
promotion - and I know that a large number of you have been patiently
waiting for us to release the promised NEW items before the end of
Feb, so that you could include them with your voucher purchases. As
explained above, I've now had to accept that the new releases won't
be ready, as there is simply not enough time left now to get them
done.
So, for those of you who still have vouchers to spend, we are
offering a choice:
EITHER you can use your voucher as originally intended, by the end of
this month, on placing an order for existing products that we will
get dispatched to you during our March hiatus; OR, if you have been
specifically waiting for new products to be released, you may DEFER
using your voucher until JUNE this year (we can't make it any
earlier, because we'll be too busy with SALUTE, TRIPLES etc to cope
with the rush!). The voucher will then be valid for its face value
discount on any order placed from the 1st - 30th JUNE 2011 - so it
simply becomes a Summer discount rather than a Winter one!
Now, this is important - if you wish to take up the second option of
deferring your voucher until June, you MUST email me directly (to
jonATgzgDOTcom), give me the ID code number of your Feb voucher, and
request the deferment - I will then send you back via email a NEW
voucher code that you can use online in June; we have to do it this
way because by then the new store will be up and running with its
online processing facilities, and the way in which we will have to
handle discount offers will be different.
I hope this all makes sense, and one way or another it should keep
MOST people happy.....!

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLACE ANY ORDERS WITH US
IN MARCH! This includes postal AND telephone orders, as well as
online ones; we are CLOSED in March for all intents and purposes,
though we will be working away like crazy "behind the scenes" to have
everything ready to re-start very soon.

Jon (GZG), 20th Feb 2011.