Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Richard Bell <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:21:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

<atcliffe@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:

>> JD Webster neatly split the difference in scale with Air Superiority
and
>> came up with new mechanics for an air game that made playing both
easier and
>> much more fun; they also translated well, with a change of scale, to
WW2 in
>> the Fighting Wings series.
>>

> I kept hearing that Air Superiority was good, but i never got a chance
> play it.
>
> It came out a bit later, didn't it? I remember it being for sale at
> Imperiums to Order, which would have been the early to mid 80s.

Air Superiority was good.  Speed of Heat was better.  Based on my
admittedly limited experience, Birds of Prey is really good.  It takes
some practice to get fast at working the play-aids, but I believe that
the payoff is worth it.  It uses a similar method to Attack Vector:
Tactical to represent a 3D volume on a 2D hex grid, which I really
like, but YMMV.

Once I read the rules of Air Superiority, I was at a loss to figure
out what should be done with my copy of Air War, as selling it only
threatened to make some poor soul with being turned off Jet Age
aircraft combat.  I have not even lifted the box lid in about twenty
years.

Richard Bell

Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes