Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: [GZG] [sg2] Monstrous Creatures

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:46:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:43:08AM -0500, Allan Goodall wrote:
>It's infamous for that. It came out during SPI's phase of wanting
incredible
>realism. I remember the ad for Air War, where they describe a dogfight
and
>list the rule number that went with what happened in reality. It was
>supposed to instill you with a sense of, "Oooo, though thought of
>everything." It just instilled a sense of dread in me, as one of the
rules
>numbers was in the 40s.

It was watching a game of that, and then picking up Air Superiority,
that made me realise that wargames _didn't_ have to be
hyper-complicated...

(Air Superiority had a 12-second turn length IIRC - like role-playing
combat, focused on advantage and disadvantage rather than each
individual sword swing.)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: [GZG] [sg2] Monstrous Creatures