Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:43:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes

>  I'd have to go check who did Source of the Nile and who did Merchant
of
> Venus.

Both of them were AH.

> I don't mind a serious historical game (board or miniatures), but I
want to
> play it with folks who are happy to win or lose and who aren't going
to make
> the experience painful.

That's what I like about Mark, my new gaming friend. He enjoys the
experience more than anything.

> PS - Air War was way too complex a modelling of reality to be a fun
game.
> Most of our fights didn't resemble dogfights so much as high speed
jousts
> with no actual shooting.

It's infamous for that. It came out during SPI's phase of wanting
incredible
realism. I remember the ad for Air War, where they describe a dogfight
and
list the rule number that went with what happened in reality. It was
supposed to instill you with a sense of, "Oooo, though thought of
everything." It just instilled a sense of dread in me, as one of the
rules
numbers was in the 40s.

Their earlier game Foxbat and Phantoms was well received. I suspect they
wanted to take F&P and make it *really* advanced.

This is in the same period where they did a game called "Scrimmage" for
Strategy and Tactics magazine. "Scrimmage" was an American football
simulation. The football field was overlaid with a hex grid. There as a
chit
for each player and, if I remember correctly, the ball. I kid you not:
it
could take an hour to resolve a single play!

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
awgoodall@gmail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes Next: Re: [GZG] Game designer Charles S Roberts passes