Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises! Next: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!

Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:51:14 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM, <emu2020@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't say it's common in North America.
>>
> It's common *enough* that South Park didn't feel the need to explain.
> don't hear it in common parlance, though. :-)

I don't know where it's common. I've not heard it 'round these here
parts,
or any of the parts I've been hanging out in.  :-)

Maybe SP didn't feel the need to explain because they didn't *want* to
explain it? Maybe it's common where they are, but not elsewhere, and
thus
this would be their way of manipulating the language by introducing new
terms and phrases that aren't in use elsewhere? Or maybe it's a target
audience thing? All I know is that like Eli, I've not heard the term
before.

> Go down south and ask for a Coke and they will ask you what kind you
want
>> and not just diet - 7-Up, Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, etc. Not even the
sub
>> sandwich is called the same thing across the states.
>>
> This just barely touches that iceberg. I have raging "discussions"
about
> this with my 11 year old stepson. He rolls his eyes and argues
vehemently
> over the pronunciation of the word "puma" (is it "P-YOO-ma" or is it
> "POO-ma"?).
>
> Heck, I didn't even know it was okay to spell "pyjamas" in the U.S.
with an
> "a" instead of a "y"!

I've seen the "pyjamas" spelling before but not offen. Prolly it be more
common down 'round y'all than up heah or over yonder.

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises! Next: Re: [GZG] GZG official news - we've moved premises!