Prev: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns Next: [GZG] GZG national microbadges badges up for vote at Boardgamegeek

Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:21:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns

Obviously, I put in the argument against the Fermi 'paradox' concerning
many civs, just few at any given time within hailing distance...

Nearer and dearer to my own liberal tendencies, remember the prime
directive is a convenient plot device to suggest why no contact. Klaatu
and
the gang being a somewhat darker version...

I'd imagine the whole, 'On second thought, let's not go to (Earth). It
is a
silly place.' is another possibility. 'Now, Barnard's Star is JUMPING! '

Or, imagine you got the skinny from War of the World's Martians. 'Don't
go
there! It's a death trap!' ;->=

I still think the speculation is premature. Listening is good, sending
is
low risk but should be rethought, and a reliance on unmanned probes
doesn't
properly support the presence vigilance requires in most worse cases.

The_Beast