Prev: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns about Aliens Next: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns

Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:42:55 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] A number of scientists respond to Hawking's concerns

edia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

I forgot to post the link to the theory that the scifi series by Ian
Douglas
used as a background. The first three books were more about Earth
factions
fighting with a bit of early contact/Cydonian ruins thrown in. The later
trilogy is definitely more about meeting the sorts of critters you'd get
the
screamin willies about.... (modifying the quantum state of the universe
affect the nature of reality.... yikes...)

Indy:
1) I never said we shouldn't get off the planet. I think to avoid a big
rock
extinction, that would be a good plan. I just think we shouldn't be
shouting
into space.
2) I'll confirm on the SETI thing. I had heard about them broadcasting.
might mis-recall. It has been done, even if it wasn't them.
3) Don't kid yourself, we still give off a lot of EM. But it might not
make
it too far out. The whole 'energy density drops with square (or is it
cube?)
of distance' is a handy factor there.
4) Don't worry about the sun. We'll have taken ourselves out of the
picture
long before that becomes a factor. (Or we'll be able to do what they did
in
B5... just transmit ourselves as blobs of energy when the system is a
done
deal....)

There's lots of life possible out there. It's just clear that as far as
we
can tell, getting to space is a resource-costly process. So you have to
have
a need or a desire. That means we either get hyper-expander populating
races, resource searchers, or (eek) cosmic door-to-door salesmen (or
religious proselytizers). I'm not real anxious to meet any of those by
having them show up and surprise us here.

Tom