Prev: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: Next: [GZG] From Jon at GZG - limited stock of 25/28mm resin APCs!

[GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re:

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 15:51:37 -0400
Subject: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re:

CIWS is doing the real point defense. Why not call it PDS?

The PDS you've got now is area defense.

How about:

PDS - close in defense when attacked (true 'point' defense)
ADS - ranged defense of an area, attacked or not

I also agree that an ADS-1 .... ADS-n would be interesting and could be
costable. This would let you simulate more genres. Some anime I've seen
had
anti-fighter weapons that had fairly long range. And once you have 'set
effect dice' and 'range bands', you can cost/mass them somewhat on a
beam-ish model (or so it would seem).

Re: Waves or Sectors

Suspect Zoe's Sectors might be workable, but would have to test and
seems
like they add an admin step to fights (dividing squadrons into sectors).

Waves... first some types of attack, not others. If I'm making close-up
strafing runs of the hull (B5, SW), that fits. If I'm firing standoff
from
5000 km, all my fighters could fire at the same time. And waves
introduce
another arbitrary administrative division point.

Not saying these could not work, just pointing out the characterization
they
require.

T.