Prev: [GZG] Firecon chart/list? Next: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to dodge beams and other weapons?

Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:23:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

Allan spake thus:

G loads are tiring. Formula 1 drivers hit 5 and 6 gs throughout a race.
The
car only hits equilibrium at top speed. The rest of the time it's under
some
sort of g load, from 1.5 gs to 6. F1 drivers have to be *very* well
conditioned, and even then it's tiring as all get out.

It's more than just what your muscles can take. Under breaking the
driver's
lungs want to press against their ribs and force them to exhale. I'm not
sure even a g suit does anything about that: just regular breathing is
hard.

[Tomb] I'm not sure there is any quantifiable difference between
acceleration/deceleration stresses and cornering stresses (heavy
lateral G loads there) in F1 and the same sorts of stresses in (for
instance) fighter planes. They have afterburners, arrestor cable
landings, and very heavy G loads during manouvers. G-suits help the
guys in the planes, I see no reason to believe that they would not
help F1 drivers to some extent.

Just how horrible would it be to take trauma damage in combat while the
craft continued to pull 5 gs?

[Tomb] Well, this is not such a big deal in fighters. Fighters are
either fine or dead. If you take any notable hit in a fighter, they
notify your next of kin. Larger ships doing those kinds of Gs and
taking serious kinetic or beam damage would have people trying to deal
with casualties, system failures and damage, structural damage, hull
breaches, etc. all while under 5 Gs. I can't see that improving any
casualties chance of surviving or even being manageable without
anti-gravity somehow. You'd have to take off G-load.

Prev: [GZG] Firecon chart/list? Next: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to dodge beams and other weapons?