Prev: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to Next: [GZG] Anyone have a list of ship components by ship class for the canon ships?

Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:31:13 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] How much acceleration do you need to

> Bob,
>
> I had understood a human could sustain 9G (according to a Wiki I read)
> but was not sure how long they meant by sustain. If I go with the 3
> minute turn and 0.33G/thurst, the fighter Jocks might have to sustain
> 6Gs several times (like anytime they go foot to the firewall) but they
> are (as you say) in couches and G suits. I figured if we can manage
> 9Gs for a minute or two, we can manage 6Gs with some help (unhappily,
> I'll warrant) for longer periods.

G loads are tiring. Formula 1 drivers hit 5 and 6 gs throughout a race.
The
car only hits equilibrium at top speed. The rest of the time it's under
some
sort of g load, from 1.5 gs to 6. F1 drivers have to be *very* well
conditioned, and even then it's tiring as all get out.

It's more than just what your muscles can take. Under breaking the
driver's
lungs want to press against their ribs and force them to exhale. I'm not
sure even a g suit does anything about that: just regular breathing is
hard.

Here's a YouTube video about F1 g loads. It's quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMloWN-AZcw

Just how horrible would it be to take trauma damage in combat while the
craft continued to pull 5 gs?

Personally, I think to handle high g loads for any length of time (F1
races
are about 2 hours but F1 drivers don't suffer 5 gs constantly for 2
hours in
a row) they'll need more than a g suit.

> Letting the fighters hit higher than 6Gs at times (or even the ships
> going over 2 Gs average thrust for a turn with engine
> redlining/emergency thrust) is probably feasible, but I want to keep
> the norms on the lower end. I think 2Gs is probably enough to be doing
> damage control even in a powered exoskeleton.

I think 2 gs is more reasonable.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com