Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B) Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:13:14 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance (Tom B)

Really, do have a look first, and preferably in a demo by fan boys.
Rather
a turn or burn thing, of the kind of YMMV greatly.

It does a fair job of keeping the math under the bonnet, so to say, but
can't tell how deep the math is, come to that.

I hate playing devil's advocate, and I REALLY don't care for this
system,
but if I a) could have really felt the 3D I was using, b) didn't think
the
'drawing the course changes through the boxes' felt fiddly, I  might
give
it a lukewarm recommendation.

Strange thing is, I am almost surprised I had to state the above. Ken
Burnside has a way of showing up in any web conversation about the game,
the point of being a bit annoying. When one of my store partners goes
into
a rant about the game not being worth the chocolate used to bribe into
play, I stand quietly for a moment, almost expecting him to pop through
the
door.

The_Beast

Robert Mayberryu wrote on 01/17/2010 04:27:57 PM:

> Thanks for this post--- I've been thinking about trying AV:T for a
> while and hadn't seen a real side-by-side comparison. I'm not
> interested in six-decimal-place accuracy, but the fundamental issues
> of space are important (ie: vector movement, reaction drive physics,
> etc).
>
> I'm still wondering if 3d really adds anything to the tactical feel of
> the game.
>
> Rob
>

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
wrote:
> > I will also agree to the need to try before buying; I've a copy of
the
> > original AV:T that I've read, and tried putting out, to no avail.
> >
> > At Last GenCon, Mr Burnside was running a demo with I think
> > dumbed-down-but-still-3D rules. I was slotted in after the demo was
already
> > started, but got to call 'first blood' after performing something
akin
> > an immelman. When asked 'how did you do that', I demonstrated the
maneuver
> > on my sheet, to which everyone, including the author, seemed to
think I
was
> > actually getting it down.
> >
> > I had fun the first time I played FT, have had fun every too few
game
> > since, even when watching the slowly expanding cloud that was my
 ESU
SDN.
> > In spite my success on the table, I can not imagine investing enough
time
> > to regularize myself to the AV:T system, even in it's current
'cleaned
up'