Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships - missile costs Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance

Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance

From: martin connell <mxconnell@o...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:41:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance

This is an interesting problem.

I'm going to put my anal retentive engineer's hat on for a moment (those
of
you saying I never take it off - shut it ! B-) ). You're a code ghuru so
figure you'll be pretty comfortable with this...

Let's set up the following terms
Sn = "Start-point" location on turn n
Mn = "Mid-point" location of turn n
En = "End-point" location of turn n

And it's the nature of the game that your end point of one turn is the
start
point of the next turn or

En = S(n+1)

You're suggesting as the turn is a spectrum of time the best way to
model it
is the average, or Mn. This is true. Mn is a good way to model the
average
of a turn. But the entire game, a series of turns, is also a spectrum of

time. Let's look at a series of turns arbitrarily labeled 1 through 5.
I've
put each turn on a separate line as I think it adds clarity, YMMV. Time
is
passing from left to right.

S1....M1....E1
		  S2....M2....E2
				    S3....M3....E3
						      S4....M4....E4

S5....M5....E5

So, while M1, M2, M3, etc are good models for the average of turns 1,2,3

etc, it can equally be claimed that E1, E2. E3, etc are also good
average
modeles for the "turn time" elapsing between M1 to M2, M2 to M3, M3 to
M4,
etc. So either can do a decent job of "average" representation, it's
just a
matter of your frame of reference.

Combat based on the mid utrn point raises a number of issues which would

have to be resolved.

Combat onvolves facing and weapon arcs. Would you also base combat on
facing
at the mid-point? Would this result in some odd commands (i.e. I will
turn
180degrees so I am pointing at the target ( at 90degrees from my current

position) at turn midpoint)? Or do you write commands for movement pre
and
post midpoint?

If combat is based on the average of fire during the entire turn time
period, and weapons have defined arcs, should ships that manage to keep
target in the same arcs from start to finish of the turn be more
effective,
deliver more damage, than ships that need to turn to get a target into
it's
fire arcs? If you start worrying about modeling the average in one area,

where do you stop?

I think I understand what your struggling with, which is the granularity
of
FT turns and a desire for something finer, but I'm not sure this will
ultimately be a solution that satisfies you. But then maybe I've
misunderstood your itch...

Regards,
Martin