Prev: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks... Next: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...

Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:32:00 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...

> There are good and bad ways to do it. Having an individual approach
the
> person and say "hey, this is great, but because we're worried about
> trademark dilution (or whatever) we'd like you to take it down" -
good.
> Getting the lawyers to send out C&Ds - bad. Of course the latter is
also
> much cheaper...

Pagan publishing has the creators of derivative content put a disclaimer
on
their work that basically says, "Yes, I created this, but the trademarks
belong to Pagan Publishing."

There are other companies that tightened their intellectual property
without
completely pissing off their customers.

The question, which we can't answer right now, is "How will this affect
their sales in the long run?" A lot of what they are pulling is stuff
that
long term -- and not necessarily "still buying" -- customers have
produced
and/or used. A lot of the younger fans are going to continue to visit
the
stores and buy the stuff there without really knowing what the older
players
are griping about. I'm sure the GW staff won't allow much dissent at
their
stores.

It will be interesting to see if there's a long term negative impact, or
if
it will explode on the Internet and then quickly die down.

I can't think, though, that pulling this stunt just before Christmas is
good idea...

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks... Next: Re: [GZG] Giving thanks...