Prev: Re: [GZG] What works at conventions Next: [GZG] What works at conventions

Re: [GZG] What works at conventions

From: Bobby <hansuke@g...>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:20:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] What works at conventions

I hadn't thought about the Academy cruiser duel. I always liked that
type of
game on FTJava. That may be a thought also.

Thanks for the hints. I will followup on them this weekend.

Yes, I'm a holdover grognard from FT2, but I'm trying to move into the
present with FT2.5, since its more current.

Bobby

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Bobby <hansuke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Y'all,
>> I am refereeing a Full Thrust bit at MAG-Con in December (
>> http://mag-con.com/) and was wondering if anyone had any helpful
hints
>> about what type (or how big) of scenarios that I should run? Should I
use
>> FT2 for new comers, or try my hand at the new FT2.5 intro scenario,
or
>> something completely different?
>>
>> And do' s or don'ts?
>>

> First: stick with what you *know*. Don't try to bring into play new
stuff
> you're not versed in, or you'll find yourself looking up the rules to
settle
> a question more often than not (it's okay to look up rules - esp
because
> memory and written words don't *always* match - but it is best is to
try and
> keep it to a minimum when possible). That said, probably better to do
the
> 2.5 stuff as that's more 'standard' now than FT2 (but YMMV depending
on the
> group playing). And you've got a few months to practice getting
reasonably
> versed in 2.5.
>
> Playtest, playtest, playtest ahead of time. Make sure your scenario is
> balanced.
>
> You could look over the GZG ECC website's historical section, look and
see
> what FT scenarios different people have run over time, then plug them
and
> ask how they ran and for other feedback on them. Jon Davis has run the
> Estrell Academy Cruiser Duel, but it's more about individual ships,
not
> fleet action.
>
> I've a series of scenarios 1/3 of the way down this page:
> http://indy-adventures.net/full-thrust/full-thrust.html
>
> Mind you, they are not all fully balanced, nor are they all good for
> convention gaming.
>
> (though I just noticed the URL is broken; I'll have to fix that this
wknd
> :-/ ).
>
> Anyway, some initial thoughts.
>
> Mk

Bobby

Prev: Re: [GZG] What works at conventions Next: [GZG] What works at conventions