Prev: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] I've been trumped... Re: Just a test....

Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

From: Brian Burger <blurdesign@g...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:39:41 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Tom B<kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg
>
> Next time you need to align your sense of your own importance, this
> video should help. Hubble has once again given us perspective on our
> place in the universe.
>
> 1E19 suns in the universe (est).
> Furthest galaxy 4.7E7 light years away, receding faster than light.
> 1E11 galaxies in the universe (est).
>
> Our sun is one in ten quintillion other suns. We're one in six billion
> humans thereon. Try to even vaguely appreciate how small we are.
>
> Carl Sagan, you've got to be right. Douglas Adams, you have no idea
> how right you were.

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the
road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." -- Douglas
Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

What he said.

I think it was on this list, several years ago, that I said that
Hubble was worth it purely as a public art project; the science is
just icing on a cake of pure awesome. Anyone who doesn't have their
mind blown by the Deep Field/Ultra Deep Field images probably doesn't
have much of a mind to begin with!

Brian
warbard.ca/games.html

Prev: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] I've been trumped... Re: Just a test....