Prev: Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions? Next: Re: [GZG] 'Belt Armour' a la Kravak

Re: [GZG] Integral Armour

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 21:00:46 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Integral Armour

J L Hilal wrote:
>Instead of using kinetic-defeating screens for my big-gun setting, I
>used Integral Armor based on the original KV from MT.	This is
>analogous to belt armor on battleships.  Ablative
>armor/carapace/shells from FB1/FB2 is analogous to double- and
>triple-hulls, wet and dry anti-torpedo spaces and the American
>All-Or-Nothing armoring scheme.  Integral Armor is also useful for
>settings without screens or shields such as Babylon 5 and BSG.

I take it this is for something like a WWI/WWII version of
Full Thrust? Or were you trying for a space combat system
with the general "feel" of battleships?

 From reading the web page you posted, there doesn't appear
to be any minimum mass required for integral armour, so one
could build a destroyer (admittedly rather cramped) or a
cruiser with level-2 integral armour. How did that work out?

>As far as small K-guns being ineffective against heavily armored
>ships, I don't mind that at all.  Historically, a lot of battleships
>were immune to the fire of 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-inch guns (and in some
>cases even 8-inchers).

Yes, although that immunity turned out to be theoretical in
some cases. (Graf Spee against British light cruisers and Hiei
against American cruisers both suffered enough damage to put
them out of action, although neither was sunk or in danger of
doing so. Scharnhorst was critically handicapped by having
her radar knocked out by a cruiser shell before Duke of York
got near her.)

Plus while battleships were in not much danger from the
lighter guns of destroyers and cruisers, those smaller ships
did have torpedoes. There's no real equivalent to the effect
these had on WWI/WWII battleship tactics in Full Thrust,
although if you wanted to create a Hornblower/Nelson in space
type game where capital ships RULE and those pesky escorts
and cruisers know their place, that could be an advantage.

	cheers,
	Hugh

Prev: Re: [GZG] Screens versus Advanced Screens in Cross Dimensions? Next: Re: [GZG] 'Belt Armour' a la Kravak