Prev: Re: [GZG] Asteroid fields and the Great Monkey Dance :-D (was: Re: The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance Next: Re: [GZG] Dancing the Pre-Measure Monkey

Re: [GZG] Asteroid fields and the Great Monkey Dance :-D (was: Re: The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:41:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Asteroid fields and the Great Monkey Dance :-D (was: Re: The Great Premeasuring Monkey Dance

On Friday 08 May 2009 12:59:34 Doug Evans wrote:
> On the other other hand, I believe the original phrase used was
'asteroid
> swarms' not belt.

Tom B's post mentioned "Asteroid belt racers".

I deliberately didn't reply to "asteroid swarms" because that's a
lot more ambiguous as to what it means :-)

> Local conditions, while age-of-the-galaxy rare for a Star
> Wars version, can vary, and other world systems are proving stranger
than
> our current experience.
>
> I accept denser populations than we currently experience as a real
> possibility, and worth modelling.

I think we come back to the earlier discussion about just because
we don't know for sure that something is impossible, doesn't mean
that we can throw in anything we want if we want to aim for realism.

Star Wars dense fields have two problems (in the long term):
  1) Why haven't frequent collisions ground the rocks to dust?
  2) Why hasn't gravity pulled them into a single planet?

Some asteroids are thought to be little more than piles of rubble,
so an impact could give you a temporarily dense field. Something
like the destruction of Alderaan would probably create a short term
dense field as well.

FWIW, I agree that dense fields are worth modelling, simply because
that's what tends to turn up in SF and they can be fun to game in.
I still like to play around with what's known to be possible however.

Assuming we have one highly unlikely dense asteroid field in our
campaign universe, what sort of interesting terrain could ships
be fighting within, in all the other solar systems?

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk