Prev: Re: [GZG] Kar Vak Beasts Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels

Re: [GZG] Kar Vak Beasts

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:03:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Kar Vak Beasts

you do wish to use them as more than mobility for infantry (hobilars) or
as mounted scouts, then you need to make the beasts robust. To mount a
cavalry charge requires you to get in range and not be broken by the
fire
during the charge.

One possibility for this is to assume the nasty looking beasties bear
something in common with grizzlies or wild boars - thick grisle, tough
hide,
amazing adrenalin, etc. This would allow them to not take hits all that
easily. I read one account of a man and his son hunting wild boar with
(they
thought) handguns. They got charged by one - in order to down it, it
took an
entire magazine of .357 magnum from a desert eagle, the entire contents
of a
.44 magnum revolver, and somewhere between 3 and 5 shots of 5.56mm from
Mini-14 to drop it. The grisle stopped most of the pistol slugs dead.

Project a nastier, tougher hide and a tougher alien physiology (not much
tougher, mind you - big boars are something else) and you've got a
viable
charger. Give it some ballistic armour and its even more feasible.

I think of them as scouts mostly - able to get through areas some
vehicles
could not, able to help defend the scout against unforseen natural
enemies
(other critters), and able to get the scout out of trouble with a quick
gallop away. But if I planned to use them in battle, I'd construe them
as
above and modify the rules as required to support that.

Tom B

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty
quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Kar Vak Beasts Next: Re: [GZG] Tech Levels