Prev: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality.... Next: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

Re: [GZG] META strong and objectionable discourse was: Interesting mercenary idea

From: "Ryan Fisk" <ryan.fisk@g...>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:37:20 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] META strong and objectionable discourse was: Interesting mercenary idea

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Ryan Fisk <ryan.fisk@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>>> ... He was speaking coldly, and directly. If we had
>>> more of that we'd have fewer problems in this world.
>>
>> "Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid
>> excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication
>> where people rub together. Often the very young, the untraveled, the
>> naive, the unsophisticated deplore these formalities as "empty,"
>> "meaningless," or "dishonest," and scorn to use them. No matter how
>> "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into machinery that
does
>> not work too well at best."
>
> I deliberately used three offensive terms.

Sorry John, that wasn't specifically directed at you, I snipped
everything else as I just wanted to note to the other Ryan that I
didn't particularly agree that more cold and direct speaking would
result in fewer problems and I had the opportunity to quote the master
to do it.  Given that your comments "inspired" it all, I can see that
it's somewhat related, but in this case I probably think less of the
UN than you do, if that's possible, and really didn't find what you
said inappropriate or wrong.

--
Ryan Fisk