Prev: Re: [GZG] A new vector movement system Next: Re: [GZG] META strong and objectionable discourse was: Interesting mercenary idea

Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:30:02 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Question: small-arms tech and troop quality....

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:10:09PM -0600, John Atkinson wrote:

>Yes, I suppose so.  Troop quality should be the driving factor, as it
>is with SGII.	After all, you can take the best rifle in the realms of
>human imagination, and unless it is completely computer-controlled,
>the single most important factor that controls whether or not you can
>hit the target is the skill of the user.  Give me one kid with a
>bolt-action rifle who has been shooting rabbits since before puberty
>over a dozen conscripts with AK-47s and ten minutes worth of
>instruction on how not to kill themselves with them.

See also those studies that try to work out what percentage of soldiers
in WWII ever actually fired their weapons - I think it was somewhere
down in the single digits for the riflemen. (This is less true now, for
a variety of reasons, and I don't suppose all of them are known yet...
but even now I'm sure there's a certain amount of reluctance to fire.)