Prev: Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings Next: Re: [GZG] A new vector movement system

Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings

From: "Ladue, Grant" <ladue@b...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:37:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] UNSC Workings

For what it's worth, I like that the OUDF is the "modular ships"
faction, and I wouldn't want the UNSC to duplicate that.
I like that the UN uses "module" designs for construction purposes, but
once mated the modules are permanent.  In theory,
it would simplify design changes as well.  I like to consider the battle
corvette, deep space explorer, and BC as the first
UNSC designs, followed by the cruisers, and then the new battleships and
DN's.  The old BC fore hull design is most in
need of an upgrade and a new one (possibly with a cruciform more like
the battleships) would see production as soon as
the Kravak threat lessens.  The Lake class destroyers were upgraded by
minor changes to the production fore hull as new
weapons designs came into play (largely to reduce their dependence on
the supply chain for reloads).	The "fleet" upgrades
to grazers (first implemented on the brand new Heavy Cruiser design)
were implemented after the Strike, Escort, and Light
cruiser designs were in production for some time, and the decision was
made to retain the current designs until completely
new fore hulls were warranted (after the BC).

   Most likely, the battle carrier designs developed during the war will
be retired or mothballed shortly after the war ends due
to the very high material and personnel costs to operate them in a
peacetime environment.	The Super Heavy Carrier may be
retained as fleet flagship and propaganda tool though.