Prev: Re: [GZG] Help Organizing Battlesuits Next: Re: [GZG] SG house rules for the Ixx.

Re: [GZG] SG house rules for the Ixx.

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:36:00 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] SG house rules for the Ixx.

Technically, the Ixx might be better described as arthropods
(includes insects, spiders, scorpions, crabs, lobsters etc.) rather
than "insectoids". Not everything that has its skeleton on the
outside is an insect, even on Earth.

The advantages in combat of having your "bones" on the outside
instead of the inside might be questionable. On the one hand, chitin
is quite tough (especially if mineralised) and could probably shrug
off the sort of impacts that might cause cuts, bruises and minor
wounds to squishy-on-the-outside folk like us. On the other, any hit
that did penetrate the exoskeleton would be the equivalent of a bone-
shattering impact, with possible spalling and splinters to complicate
the wound to the squishy inside.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about healing mechanisms in
arthropods, but I have visions of Ixxian medics slapping epoxy resin
and fibreglass tape over a crack before clicking the equivalent of
"Next!". Alan Dean Foster's "Humanx Commonwealth" stories, feature a
race of intelligent arthropods called the Thranx. Commentators and
reviewers often refer to them as "insectoid" although they actually
have eight limbs, making them closer to arachnids, but I recall that
any crack or hole in their exoskeletons was a big deal.

Best regards, Robert Bryett