Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:15:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

> >Feet. . . right.  Feet.  Excuse me while I go flagellate myself.  I'm
> >used to thinking in meters so much that my eye glossed right over the
> >little '.  I just assumed that a European would be using meters.
>
> TomB is a fellow USian I believe.

[TomB] Although flattering, and although I do have an affinity for the
large
number of my friends down there, I am Canadian. I do lean a bit right
for
our country, but that still makes me pretty middle of the road by USAian
standards.

Mr: Kochte:
Actually, I do believe he is most assuredly Canadian. ;-)
Still NAC, though. :-D

[TomB] Or the dreaded splinter group "Scottish-Canadian".

[TomB] Mr. McCarthy is right, I grew up mostly in metric, but my Dad had
sign in the garage that read "English spoken here. Feet and not meters.
Gallons and not litres. Pounds and not kilograms." and he called the
Maple
Leaf 'Pearson's Liberal Banner'. The only Canadian flag he'd acknowledge
is
the Red Ensign.

[TomB] From the top of my head: 1" = 25.4mm, 1m = roughly 39", 1 quart =
946
mL (at least as they sell motor oil), 1 US gallon = 4 liters (UK gallon
=
4.5, Canadian Gallon = 4.55). 1 Canadian Dollar = an inexplicable 0.82
USD.
1 km = 0.62 miles, 1 metric ton = 2200 lbs, 1 Stone = 14 pounds, 1 chain
= 6
feet, 500mL = 1 guiness, 12 dogs = 1 sled, and 1 Mountain Dew = 0
caffeine.

[TomB] Metric makes sense for any form of engineering math. But for
describing people's height and weight, Imperial seems more intuitive.
Same
with shopping for food in pounds, although liters make sense for
liquids.
Speeds in mph or km/hr are fine. Sailboats are measured in feet and
anyone
who tells me I'm 1.62m tall leaves me with a blank expression.

[TomB] 2 + 2 = 5 if you are using a metric 2.

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question