Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:18:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

John Atkinson wrote:

> > [TomB] I'm kinda surprised you need 150' stand off. I defer to your
> domain but that >seems like quite a bit. I guess they are a fair bit
> bigger than a hand grenade, but I've seen >video of hand grenades
going
> off within 5' of people and them not taking shrapnel hits >(Russians
in
> Chechnya I think). I know the RPG is bigger, but I hadn't expected
that
> large >of a lethal radius.

"Danger zone" =|= "lethal radius". The lethal radius is the radius where

you (supposedly) run a 50% or higher risk of dying, ie. the zone where
the
shooter wishes the target to be when the round detonates. The danger
zone
OTOH is the zone where you (even more supposedly) don't run *any* risk
of
getting hit by fragments from the round, ie. the zone where the gunner
wants to be *himself* when the round detonates.

And yes: RPG warheads are considerably bigger than hand grenades, and
the
big fragments from RPG fin assemblies etc. tend to go considerably
further
than (and are dangerous at considerably longer distances as) hand
grenade
shrapnel. FWIW this is a major problem for us at work, since certain
customers of ours want to cut the arming distances of our products
*waaayyy* shorter than we're able to guarantee that their gunners won't
kill themselves <shudder>

>You don't--and are exceedingly unlikely to hit ANYTHING at that range.
>  At least, from what I've seen.  Most of the time RPGs are fired under
>100m,

Um, John... last time I checked 150' was less than half as far as 100m.
But
maybe you Americans have much bigger feet than the Imperial ones I'm
used
to? ;-)

> > except any one of them could disable the boat because a sizable tear
in
> > sailcloth combined with any sort of worthwhile wind can equal a
destroyed

>Well, the sail would definitely not detonate the warhead.

Agreed (...OK, not to 100% since some of those old rounds could go off
at
even the merest hint of an impact <shudder>), but even the round passing

through it would cause a big enough tear in the sail to allow the wind
destroy it eventually.

Later,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question