Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:50:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> [TomB] I'm kinda surprised you need 150' stand off. I defer to your
domain

You don't--and are exceedingly unlikely to hit ANYTHING at that range.
 At least, from what I've seen.  Most of the time RPGs are fired under
100m, or they are used for harassing fire because between the limits
of the shooters and the limits of the weapon, you won't hit any moving
targets.

As a matter of fact, the US Army did a study once that gave it a 51%
chance of hitting a target at 200m that was moving at 9mph in a
straight line.	On a firing range while no one was shooting back and
you could take your time to aim.

> As to the keelboat question: Depends a bit on your boat. I'd guess on
the
> last CS30 I was aboard, and it would have been marginally ocean
capable, it
> probably would have had a deck about 3-4 above the waterline and the
top of
> the cabin would have been about another 4' up. So you'd have about 8'
> work with and 30' in length. Of course, sail hits would be pretty
marginal,

Yeah, but the 'up and down' on the firing platform could induce pretty
sizeable errors, while only the cross-winds and relative speeds of the
boats induce a margin of error front and back.

> except any one of them could disable the boat because a sizable tear
in
> sailcloth combined with any sort of worthwhile wind can equal a
destroyed

Well, the sail would definitely not detonate the warhead.

> sail in fairly short order. There's a small chance of a mast or
rigging hit.
> Hitting a beneteau or other cover over the rear cockpit is a bit more
likely
> and they sometimes have a bunch of metallic infrastructure that might
> deflect the round down I'd imagine.

Or detonate it.  And I bet the frag off of the OG-7 would penetrate,
never mind the PG-7 warhead.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question Next: Re: [GZG] Slightly OT - Hypothetical weapon question