Prev: Re: [GZG] Drybrushing Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:56:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?)

inestimable Martin Connell said:

So where does this leave you:
- Sounds like you have more figures than Jon has in stock. You can put
on
huge games and supply both sides - that's good - you are not dependent
on
finding an opponent with 25mm.

[Tomb] Agreed. I just wonder if what I have is the end of the line and
it
sounds like it very well may be, which is kind of sad in some ways.
Having a
15mm line is obviously useful to Jon T and as you say he has a 25mm
line,
but those moulds wear out eventually and you have a few guys like me who
own
most of the line. I really like the look of true 25mm (even more than
15mm)
aesthetically, but I do understand the table scale issue. Stargrunt was
really meant for 6mm (6mm is roughly correct for 1" = 10m).

- You do miss out on the excitment of new releases in your scale, you
will
have to continue to adapt toys and 28mm vehicles (fess up - that's
fun!).
Couldn't some of those 15mm GZG tanks make some great remote vehicles
for
25? Couldn't those 15mm heavy weapons make great weapons mounted on a
jeep?

[Tomb] Oh, the work bench is full. it isn't a shortage of projects, just
shortage of things I want to buy a bunch of. Every time Jon came out
with a
sale, I used to order a bunch of stuff. I find now that, since I'm not
in
15mm, I don't tend to do that. I'm just not enamoured enough of FT to be
big ship buyer and I have a lot of 6mm GZG already.

- Many manufacturers follow the GW model and roll their entire product
line
every couple years. GZG doesn't do that and most of us true believers
think
that's a good thing.

[TomB] Wholly concur.

 But it does mean there must be some reasonable limit on the size of any
particular line Jon carries otherwise it becomes an impossible thing to
manage. At some point new intros must stop/drop to a trickle. I think
you
NEED a new scale. Really. You often run big games, think about 6mm - GZG
and
Brigade can keep your credit card busy for a couple years there!"

[TomB] Me buying from people other than Jon doesn't really help GZG's
bottom
line (which I like to support when I can). I have a fair amount of 6mm,
guess I could buy a few more things here, but I can already field
battalion
sized forces. I'm one of those odd birds that likes to have a 6mm to
25mm
model match where I can (hard to do, sadly). Point being though even in
6mm,
I don't realistically need that much more stuff. And the new attention
has
mostly been on FT or 15mm SG so there hasn't been a lot (unless I missed
it)
of new DS releases either. Ultimately, I can go off and buy 15 or 20mm
WW2
or something from someone, but that doesn't really help support Jon or
my
favourite game (SG). DS3, if it ever gets into formal print release,
could
re-spur my 6mm interest as could some more 6mm stuff, but I don't
necessarily see this as Jon's focus for a while.

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Drybrushing Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu