Prev: Re: [GZG] Mt Dew.... Nectar of the Gods..... Next: Re: [GZG] Question: What's in a name - WYSIWYG or not?

[GZG] Question: What's in a name - WYSIWYG or not?

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:35:21 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Question: What's in a name - WYSIWYG or not?

,

Coming at your question as one of your long-timers, here's my view:

1) I buy GZG miniatures because they look good, aren't overdone like
some G
companies W miniatures, and because the rules are pretty adaptable.
2) I don't need to brew my own universe because yours is pretty
inclusive
and non-specific enough to have varying interpretations.
3) The only brew-your own I do is recreating into SG or DS or FT stuff
for
RPGs or a particular setting for a scenario (hence Steelgrunt-esque LOTR
games, SW themed SG and DS, and so on). In those cases, I want figures
that
look like what I'm trying to recreate - GW LOTR figs, WEG 25mm SW or the
new
plastics, etc. Where GZG wins here is that some figure ranges work very
well
for re-creating some settings - UNSC = Traveller Imperial Marines,
Kra-Vak =
2300 AD's Kafers or Predators, GZG Mercs - genericaly useful, GZG NSL
Pzgd =
Roughneck Chronicles Mobile Infantry, etc. Since you cannot and would
not
market these as such (exception Hammer's Slammers), I feel quite free to
expropriate stuff to work beyond its original scope. For vehicles, 2300
AD
M9 = Goliath (or is that Gladiator?), Hoverjeep = Hoverjeep, Wombat APC
=
2300 AD German APC, Rommel = German Luki tank, etc.
4) Anyone who gets shirty with me about what game I'm playing and what
figs
I use is either a pedant and should be summarily disemboweled or is
welcome
at least to go and spend their own money to buy, time to paint, etc.
figures
more appropos. I use the best match I have at hand. If someone doesn't
like
it, they can do better or take a hike.
5) As to vehicles: I like to know what faction a vehicle is notionally
aligned with. Some utility vehicles might be used by several forces, but
MBTs and such will tend to be associated with a bloc of nations if not a
single nation. I enjoy that association. But I also freely distort it to
suit my version of your universe - the ESU and the NAC are all over and
are
huge, so they'd have vehicles of all niches. The Aussies, tending to
occupy
small, unpleasant worlds that no one else wants, would tend to need
vehicles
appropriate to the less hospitable worlds. And some nations are more
oriented around defense than offense so their catalog will reflect that.
Consequently, I follow some of your guidelines, but feel free to do my
own
thing and mix your lines, those from old crow, DLD, Brigade, etc.
together.
But I still like to know your notional associations.

So my vote is give them model names and national associations. The
colour
text is fun and sometimes I steal it. But keep encouraging free
association
and use in general. And when describing a vehicle, mention enough detail
give the generic description

"Grav Tank, medium sized, one large main gun in turret (possibly DFFG or
HEL), commander's multi-barreled APSW/RFAC/SAW, angular design to turret
an
body"

or

"Tracked IFV, medium sized, small turrret with chain gun/RFAC and light
guided missile system, smoothed edges and fluid lines, distinct graceful
alien feel, should have cargo space for about 6-8 human sized troops,
rear
deployment door"

Generic, informative, but you could still name the first "Excalibur NAC
Medium Grav Tank" and the second "Phalon Parthian IFV".

Whatever you do, just keep churning out nice looking miniatures with
decently high manufacturing standards. We'll find uses for them. And let
your website host pics of them painted up in different schemes, maybe in
different games in different settings, and that will convey the 'use
them
for whatever' approach you want to convey.

TomB

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead."  --  Thomas Paine

   Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] Mt Dew.... Nectar of the Gods..... Next: Re: [GZG] Question: What's in a name - WYSIWYG or not?