Prev: Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server? Next: [GZG] Pirates

Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server?

From: Charles Dupont <charles.dupont@v...>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:24:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server?

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a variety of reasons, I'm interested in building a web service for

> running Full Thrust games.  The idea is to have a single game server
> that could communicate with various front-ends, and provide them with

> a consistent:
>
>	- repository of ship designs
>	- way to meet other players
>	- movement and combat engine
>
> There would also be a (more-or-less rudimentary) web front end for
> purely online games.
>
> Yes, I realize this is a complex, multi-year effort, but I need
> something to keep me off the streets. :-)
>
> The whole effort would be open source (probably in Python, hosted by
> Google App Engine), so ideally the community could maintain and extend

> it over time.
>
> I am already in discussions on the FTjava list about the technical
> issues, but I wanted to check here to:
>
>     a) Ask Jon T. whether this is allowable under the terms of the
> publicly released rules
>
>     b) See if anyone else has attempted (or would like to help) with
> something like this
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Ernie P.
> ernest.prabhakar@gmail.com

I would be interested in helping you with this project.

If you should take a look at

http://www.projectdarkstar.com/

Its an open source massively multi-player game back end.  It takes care
of storage, persistence, client/server comm, and resource deconfliction.

It might save you some work.

--Charles

Prev: Re: [GZG] Can Haz Full Thrust Game Server? Next: [GZG] Pirates