Prev: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus... Next: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:04:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@pcisys.net>
wrote:
> Considering that I rescued several cubic feet of GeoHex terrain from
Ebay
> a couple of years ago I'm not in the market.	;-)

There are some good tips in that book for buildings, ruins, etc. though.
*S*

> Is drybrushing a technique that anyone can do or is it only for the
> steady handed painter?   I just don't have great fine motor skills...

It's a technique anyone can do. It doesn't require a lot of finesse.
In fact, when you have the right amount of paint on the brush it's
something you can do in a rush. You just brush and brush and brush in
broad strokes and Xs..

That's the cool part about drybrushing. It's dead easy and perfect for
those of us with dexterity issues. However, there's one little trick:
put so little paint on the brush that you actually don't think
anything will come of all that brushing. Always remember that there's
more on the brush than you think.

You know you're doing it right when you brush the miniature and it
doesn't look like there's any highlighting on it. Then you brush a
couple more times and you think, yeah, something seems to be
happening. Then you brush a bit more and you can start to see the
detail coming up. That's when you know you've got it.

(You can drybrush with more paint on your brush, but that's for later,
when you've had more practice.)

Another hint: the highlight colour can be lighter than you think it
should be, particularly for wargame figures (which are usually seen at
a distance). I've done drybrushing that looked good close up only to
be next to impossible to see at a distance.

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus... Next: Re: [GZG] Question for the painting gurus...