Prev: Re: [GZG] Troop potential [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL] Next: [GZG] Colonial wars was Re: [OFFICIAL] GZG: FREEBIE OFFER

Re: [GZG] Troop potential

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:06:19 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Troop potential

----- Original Message ----
From: Robert Mayberry robert.mayberry@gmail.com

I wonder whether the use of peacetime conscription changes a country's
culture appreciably? I'm inclined to say it should, but I haven't seen
anything on it.

Yes, the unemployed gang members now have military tactics training,
more experience with weapons and possibly more reason to hate society.
Now they have the skills to do something about it. Definately a culture
change for the better.

Of course, in a setting where you have strong transhumanist elements,
you could well see conscription from birth (kind of like genetic
Janissaries), which would probably introduce a whole new dimension of
complexity to the question.

Even without the use of transhuman genetics, is a clone soldier grown in
a lab a human member of society or are they a smart bio weapon? What
happens to such weapons when you are not at war, do you just pop them in
a suspended animation bunker and thaw them out the next time you need
them?